Thursday, April 1, 2010

Soprano Spring Break

I just recently went through a case of depression so incredibly severe that I actually needed to go the school's counselor to cry about it. I'd been compounded on all sides by horrible event after horrible event and my only solace rested in my Spring break. I was supposed to be going to the British Isles, but that fell through. Then I was supposed to go an visit a friend in Croatia, but that also fell through. I tried my damndest to go on the school's Spring break trip, but was unable to joinn up last minute. I asked every person I knew about their plans, even people who aren't my friends, in the hopes of possibly being able to accompany them on their trip. Nothing worked out and I was miserable. All I want to do is travel and see the world. I couldn't deal with the fact that after all the stress I'd endured I was to suffer through my Spring break in my deserted, haunted apartment building all alone while everyone else was off having a euroadventure.

It was lonely, sure, but I had one delightful comfort. The Sopranos. I decided that since I didn't drop a load of euros on my Spring break like I originally intended I would drop some dollars on buying myself all of the episodes of the Sopranos on iTunes. I would watch them straight through and pass the time until my roommates got home from their trips. Watching the Sopranos was on my list of 25 Things to do Before I Die, and I've watched nearly every episode. Marathon style. Thats like 65 episodes. I've got only the last season left but I'm saving it because I know I'll hate myself if I don't draw out such a show I love so much.

I don't love the show as much as I do only because of the fact that I see places I recognize when I watch it. I don't love the show as much as I do because I hear familiar accents. I don't love the show as much as I do because it reminds me of how I grew up and the people I grew up with. The Sopranos is the epitome of HBO drama. It is just fucked up enough, just action packed enough, just sex-related enough, and exactly the fix I've needed to de-stress myself. Wrapping my mind up in the stresses of Tony Soprano effectively eliminated mine. I sat in my bed and hour after hour watched the Sopranos. I was addicted (and still am, really). I just can't get enough of Tony Soprano. I think I may have skipped showering once or twice because I couldn't stop watching. I didn't even pause for food, really. I just laid in my bed while slowly my eyes got redder and redder from staring into my computer screen for such lengths of time. I won't give away any details, but I will tell you that if ever you're suffering from depression Tony Soprano is your guy. The only downside to watching the Sopranos was that where once my homesickness burned in my heart like the flame of a candle, seeing the Soprano state on T.V. turned it into a raging inferno. Theres no place like home, theres no place like home, theres no place like home.
Arrivederci, for now.
Love, Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment