Sunday, April 25, 2010

French Crazies

I guess the monsters of Nice aren't it's only problem. Nice is home to alot of absolutely crazy motherfuckers. Like this guy:



While I was walking through Old Nice I came across this man. I suppose you can call the dance he was doing interpretive, but I like to think of it as something other than dancing entirely. I'm at a loss for words to describe this guy. He was running, jumping, gyrating, and stringing together a series of dance moves in the strangest way. The wave, followed by the worm, followed by som plie-ays (if there is a dancer reading this, please correct my spelling). He was spinning and kicking, hopping and doing push-ups. Interpretive dance.

The next really crazy person I encountered I didn't even think was a person at first. I thought Swamp thing was roaming the streets. This man was wearing an esemblage of rags, bookbags, plastic bags, maybe 20 hats, 2 cats, and one ferret-ish thing. Maybe it was animal skin and not a ferret, but it looked alive. The cats were perched on his shoulders pawing at the gigantic boombox that was sticking out of one of his bags. I didn't catch sight of his face, but I can only guess how long the beard on it was. This guy was purchasing candy from a woman on the corner. There are these cute little candy stands set up all around Nice with gummy bears and strings of marshmellow and caramel, and this Swamp thing was there buying candy with his cats and his boombox as if he were the most average fellow in the world. I think, perhaps, the woman at the stand was crazier than he was because she was completely at ease with this man. They laughed, joked, and even shook hands. She gave his cats 2 little chocolates, as if that isn't an animal hate-crime.

What the fuck is in the water in Nice?
Arrivederci, for now.
Love, Gabby

1 comment: