Wednesday, May 5, 2010

100 daze

"Dost thou love life?" asks Ben Franklin. "Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of"...

WHERE THE FUCK DID ALL THE TIME GO? Please understand my dilemma here, reader. I've been here in Italy for 100 days. One hundred long, long days. It felt like everyday was another forever. And yet, where did all the time go? What in the hell happened to those one hundred days? I just can't believe it. When I first signed up to go to school in Florence, I didn't count how many days I'd be there. All I knew was that I was going to be in Florence from January until May, and in May I was going to go where the wind blew until my family came to stay in Italy for the month of July. So, roughly seven months of Italy. It doesn't sound like alot. By the end of Februaru I was counting the days and realized that I was going to be here in Italy for about 190 days. I have passed my halfway point. More than half of my life in Italy is gone. Someone please explain to me how this happened?

I've done quite a bit in 100 days. I went to San Gimignano, Sienna, Pisa, Lucca, Milan, Venice, Pordenone, Munich, Neuschwanstein, Nice, Cannes, Montecarlo, Eze, and Prague. I've almost completely conquered Florence. I've been to the Uffizi, the Accademia, the Boboli Gardens, the Bargello, up and inside the Duomo, in the Palazzo Strozzi, to San Miniato church, and I've seen every single one of Florence's tourist sights (Piazza Signorina, Piazza Repubblica, Piazzale Michelangelo, Ponte Vecchio, etc. etc). It doesn't feel like I've done enough. Thats only 25 things. What the hell have I been doing with my days? I'll go ahead an add another 15 to that number for all the partying and fun I've had. 40. 40 days worth of stuff, and I've been here for 100. Why have I squandered so much of my time? Has it seriously, seriously been 100 days?

I'm going to write again when I've only got fifty days left until I return home and see if I still feel so unaccomplished.
Arrivederci, for now.
Love, Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment